Getting Started on Yelp
The Best (Free) Way to Amplify Your Online Presence
Danae, My Marketing Team @ VSP Global
When I moved to Sacramento, CA last year, it was a completely new scene for me. I didn’t know anyone, but fortunately, there’s an app for that (and no, I’m not talking about an online dating app). I’m talking about Yelp. It became my best friend as I navigated my way through a new town. You may think of it as a punching bag for “Yelpers” to express their frustrations with their dining experiences at a local restaurant, but it’s become much more than that. I used it to search for everything. I scrolled through photos of spas to find my new massage therapist, I read descriptions and reviews of dentists, and even searched for a new optometrist with a great frame selection. In fact, over 50% of today’s online searches are for local vendors and services1, and Yelp is one of the first sites that will appear.
Yelp is one of the most popular crowd-sourced online review tools with over 21 million mobile users per month. Long story short, it’s not going anywhere, so ensure your practice is connected and engaged on Yelp to attract new patients and retain the happy ones. It may sound stressful, but it may also be a chance to review your current office processes and improve the customer experience.
Here’s some quick steps to get started.
- Your business is already on Yelp, you just need to start managing it. First, “claim” your practice’s Yelp account. Search for your practice on www.yelp.com and click “Claim This Business”. Follow the steps to verify the business, then you’ll have access to all of the great Yelp for Business tools.
- Update business information, add a short description, and upload photos.
- Promote your Yelp page through an email campaign. Ask patients to find you on Yelp. This may remind them to write a review about their great experience in your office.
- Add a link to your practice’s Yelp page on vsp.com’s Find a Doctor Directory by logging into your eyefinity® account.
- Designate someone at the practice to manage the Yelp account and review responses. Whether positive or negative, respond. Yelp wants businesses to stay engaged with their customers, and in turn your practice may appear higher on Yelp search.
Completed all the above steps? Contact me at email@example.com. Let’s see what we can do to take your Yelp presence to the next level.
Danae is a Communications Specialist at VSP Global focused on helping Premier Program practices amplify their online presence.